Top Care Tips for PU Leather Chairs
Updated: Dec 14, 2022
PU leather, or polyurethane leather, is an artificial leather made of thermoplastic polymer used for making many types of home and office furniture products like Sofas, Chairs etc. #PULeather is completely artificial and is considered #vegan and #crueltyfree. Here are some important points about how to take care of your PU Leather chairs to keep them looking like new for a long time.
How to care for PU Leather furniture, to keep it looking new
1. Vacuum the surface with the upholstery attachment. Regular use of the vacuum allows for cleaning of pet hair, dust, dirt and crumbs. This will keep your clothing and furniture looking new longer.
2. Spray a vinyl cleaner onto the surface. You can find these products online, or in local hardware stores. Some are specifically designed for cleaning office chairs, jackets or car seats. Make sure to select a product that fits your intended purpose. Spray a light coat over the entirety of your surface. After spraying, let the cleaner sit for about a minute.
3. Use a soft brush on the surface. After letting the cleaner settle, use the brush to dislodge any dirt or grime on the surface. Use circular strokes with little pressure. Let the cleaner do the work rather than your muscle. If the surface you’re cleaning is segmented, or has curves and nooks, you’ll want to brush each section separately.
4. Wipe any dirt or grime with a towel. The combination of the cleaner and the brush will likely dislodge these from your surface. You can easily wipe them away with a towel.
5. Spray a vinyl protectant on your surface. These products help to repel dust and grime, making cleaning less frequent. They usually protect from UV radiation as well. After covering the surface in cleaner, wipe clean with a towel.
Pros & Cons of PU Leather
If you are on the fence when it comes to deciding if you want artificial over genuine leather, it is best to look at the pros and cons of PU leather.
PU Leather Pros:
- PU Leather costs less than genuine leather because it is easier to manufacture.
- Doesn’t absorb water which makes it easy to clean.
- Is vegan and cruelty free.
- Variety of colours and styles possible.
- Unlike leather, doesn’t dry out over time.
PU Leather Cons:
- May look fake and synthetic.
- Isn’t breathable like genuine leather.
- Can smell of chemicals or plastic.
- Wears over time and can crack, which means it doesn’t last as long as real leather.
- Can puncture or tear easily unlike genuine leather.
- PU leather doesn’t develop the same lustre or patina as real leather over time.
- Not all PU leathers are vegan because some contain leftover genuine leather.
- Even though it uses fewer resources to make, plastics don’t decompose and aren’t the most eco-friendly.